Clinic "Bina" offers you to do the procedure for intrauterine insemination in Belarus. Our center uses only modern equipment of the world leaders in the field of medical equipment to treat male and female infertility in Belarus. The current price for the service is shown below. You can find out the schedule of our specialists and sign up for a consultation to find out the causes of infertility online on the website or by calling the registry.
Artificial (intrauterine) insemination (AI / IUI) is a method of treating infertility, the essence of which is the introduction of pre-prepared husband’s or donor’s sperm into the uterine cavity for the purpose of pregnancy.
What is the advantage of artificial insemination over traditional conception?
1. Intrauterine insemination is carried out only during ovulation, when the most active sperm are delivered directly to the fallopian tubes, which significantly increases the likelihood of pregnancy, especially in cases where sperm penetration into the uterine cavity is difficult for various reasons.
2. This method of pregnancy is justified, effective and economically feasible for healthy women who do not have a sexual partner for natural fertilization.
Indeed, one AI program does not exceed even half of the cost of one IVF cycle, with minimal impact on the body, because very small doses of hormonal drugs are used.
Who can conduct AI?
The following indications for artificial insemination have been determined, while it can be carried out using either husband's or donor’s sperm:
1. For AI using husband 's sperm:
- Husband sperm fertility - a moderate decrease in sperm concentration or motility (by 20-30% of normal values);
- Husband’s ejaculatory-sexual disorders, for example, impotence, retrograde ejaculation, hypospadias and other malformations of the male genital organs;
- Immunological infertility, for example, the presence of antisperm antibodies in the cervix of a woman or a positive MAR test;
- A woman’s cervical factor of infertility, for example, narrowing of the cervical canal after surgical interventions, cervical canal fusion, change in the properties of cervical mucus due to a chronic inflammatory process;
- Vaginismus and other psychosexual behavioral disorders in which intercourse is not possible.
2. For AI using donor’s sperm:
- Severe forms of male infertility that are not amenable to correct, azoospermia;
- Inability to get spouse's ejaculate due to various diseases;
- The presence of genetic diseases which have an unfavorable prognosis for the unborn child, HIV carrier;
- If a woman doesn’t have a partner.
3. There is evidence of the effectiveness of artificial insemination for women with infertility of unknown origin, when all possible causes of non-occurrence of pregnancy are excluded.
What are the contraindications to AI?
Intrauterine insemination should not be used in the following situations when it won’t lead to pregnancy:
- Late reproductive age: older than 35-40 years;
- Infertility experience of more than 3-5 years;
- Obstruction of the fallopian tubes;
- Congenital malformations of the uterus and other diseases of the uterus, significantly reducing the likelihood of successful bearing (multiple uterine fibroids, for example);
- Ovarian tumors;
- The combination of several factors of infertility;
- Acute inflammatory processes of any localization (pharyngitis, pyelonephritis, etc.);
- Any malignant neoplasms, the state after chemotherapy and radiation therapy, mental illness and other serious somatic diseases.
Do I need to stimulate ovulation when performing AI?
Artificial insemination can be carried out both in the natural cycle while maintaining its ovulation, and in the stimulated cycle, when a woman takes small doses of hormonal preparations for egg maturation.
What sperm can be used in AI programs?
- Native and pre-processed spouse’s sperm; the man passes it on the day of artificial insemination;
- The cryopreserved spouse’s sperm; the sperm is handed and cryopreserved beforehand, and then it is thawed on the day of AI;
- Cryopreserved donor’s sperm in case if a woman doesn’t have a sexual partner or it is impossible to obtain husband’s sperm.
How effective is AI?
In general, the effectiveness of intrauterine insemination is 15-17%, sometimes reaching 27%.
The probability of a successful conception depends on a combination of factors: the younger the woman, the shorter the duration of infertility, the better the quality of the man’s sperm, the higher the chances of becoming parents.
How is AI done?
The procedure for intrauterine insemination includes the following steps:
- Clinical and laboratory examination of a woman and her husband during insemination. It is carried out in accordance with the Resolution of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus No. 54 of 06/01/2012. At the same time, the minimum spouse’s examination includes sperm analysis, determination of the blood group and Rh factor, screening for sexually transmitted diseases (chlamydia, mycoplasma, ureaplasma), a blood test for HIV, markers of viral hepatitis B and C, syphilis. When assessing a woman’s health status, in addition to mandatory examinations (hormones, infections, etc.), it is extremely important to assess the patency of the fallopian tubes and the condition of the endometrium (endometrial pipe-biopsy).
- Induction of ovulation during intrauterine insemination in a stimulated cycle. To do this, from the beginning of the menstrual cycle, a woman takes small doses of hormonal drugs, which allow to start follicle growth in the ovaries and achieve egg maturation.
- Ultrasound monitoring of follicular growth. It is carried out with the aim of choosing the optimal time for insemination. Reaching one or more follicles of size 18 mm or more is a sign of impending ovulation.
- During the ovulation period, a sample of husband’s or donor’s sperm is prepared. In the case of using fresh sperm, the man arrives on the day of the procedure, passes the ejaculate, which is upheld, several times pass through special filters, removing all extraneous cells except spermatozoa, after which the most active and motile sperm are secreted. If frozen semen is used, then it is simply thawed on the day of insemination.
- Intrauterine insemination is a slow insertion of prepared sperm into the uterine cavity through a special catheter.
- Support for the luteal phase with progesterone preparations is necessary for successful implantation of the ovum.
- Determination of hCG level on 13-14 days after artificial insemination and confirmation of pregnancy.
Do I need anesthesia during AI?
No. The introduction of sperm is carried out through a very thin tube, it is almost painless and takes a little time. Half an hour after insemination, a woman goes home and leads a familiar lifestyle.
How many times can AI be done?
It is believed that if after three programs of artificial insemination the pregnancy haven’t been occured, then other methods of ART should be considered in order to have a baby.
It is also possible to inject sperm into the uterine cavity twice during one menstrual cycle: a day before ovulation and during ovulation. However, this does not increase the chances of pregnancy.
What are the complications after AI?
As in the case of traditional conception, artificial insemination can lead to the occurrence of an ectopic pregnancy, but its frequency is comparable to the general population.
In rare cases, there are allergic reactions to the husband’s or donor’s sperm.
How to behave after AI?
While waiting for a positive pregnancy test, you need to lead a familiar and healthy lifestyle, follow the recommendations of your doctor and try not to be nervous.
When pregnancy occurs, there are no features in its course, management and delivery.