When is embryo transfer performed?
- The choice of the transfer day depends on the quantity and quality of the embryos, the nature of their development, as well as on the condition of the woman.
- If there are no contraindications to the transfer, then it is carried out on the 5th day after the follicle puncture, sometimes on the third day.
- The procedure is performed in a gynecological chair and does not require pain relief.
- Under ultrasound control, a thin tube with an embryo is inserted into the uterine cavity, the embryo is released very slowly and the catheter is removed from the uterus. All manipulation takes from 2 to 5 minutes.
- In 30 minutes after the embryo transfer the woman receives the necessary recommendations from the doctor, goes home and can lead an absolutely normal life.
- 14 days after embryo transfer, the level of hCG in the blood is determined to confirm the fact of pregnancy.
Why is it better to transfer five-day embryos?
- By the fifth day of development, most genetically defective embryos die and remain those that have the highest chance of successful implantation;
- You can carefully evaluate the development of each embryo and determine their development prospects;
- Possibility of preimplantation genetic diagnosis and selection of the highest quality embryos;
- The possibility of transferring one or two embryos and reducing the frequency of multiple pregnancy, which is always more difficult than a single pregnancy.
How many embryos can be transferred?
- According to the Belarusian law, women under 35 are allowed to transfer no more than two embryos into the uterine cavity, and women over 35 years old are allowed to transfer no more than 3 embryos at a time.
- If there are 3 or more unsuccessful IVF protocols, regardless of the age of the woman, the transfer of 3 embryos is permissible.
Can I choose the gender of the unborn child?
No, at the request of the parents, the choice of the gender of the child is not carried out.
Only if the parents have hereditary diseases linked to the sex (for example, hemophilia A, color blindness), the transfer of embryos of a certain gender is possible.
Do I need to take hormones after embryo transfer?
Yes, definitely. For successful implantation of an embryo, the doctor prescribes a woman hormonal progesterone preparations, the intake of which must be continued until 12 weeks of pregnancy.
What do they do with the remaining embryos?
If the unused embryos remain after the protocol or the woman has contraindications for transfer, the embryos are cryopreserved and are used later.
The shelf life of embryos in our cryobank is 10 years.
How to understand that I am pregnant?
In 12-14 days after the embryo transfer, the doctor recommends to take a blood test for hCG - this is the most reliable method of confirming pregnancy on the early stages.
If your result starts from 20 IU/ml we congratulate you - YOU ARE PREGNANT!
3-4 weeks after the transfer an ultrasound scan is performed to determine the fetal egg.